Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Time for new adventures

Well, exciting times lie ahead!  I have accepted a new job starting July 20 as a TEFL teacher trainer with Maximo Nivel based in Cuzco, Peru!  I will be start in Cuzco for 3-4 months of training where I'll likely move to La Antigua, Guatemala where I'll start my 18-month contract after my training ends.  While going through my training, my company will decide if I'll stay in Peru or move to their Guatemala location.  At this point, they are leaning towards moving me, but I'll remain flexible and see what happens.
La Antigua, Guatemala
"Follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be."  -- Joseph Campbell
In my position, I'll be training new English teachers interested in finding teaching jobs abroad.  This four-week accredited TEFL/TESOL class will be intense not only for the students but me as well.  I think it'll be similar to my Hall Director/Area Coordinator days in working with lots of enthusiastic and intelligent people.  I am looking forward to being able to communicate with my students again (beyond "It's an elephant").  I'm also incredibly interested in learning about the people and culture of Peru and hopefully Guatemala.  One great benefit of my job is that I get one-hour of free Spanish tutoring each day, so I'm hoping to become fluent in Spanish over my time there.

Cuzco is the base point where most people go to visit Machu Picchu.  Cuzco sits at 11,000 feet elevation, so I'll be back to my high-altitude life again.  Although, this makes Laramie look like sea level!  Laramie is at 7,200 feet.  :)  I've always dreamed of visiting Peru - especially Machu Picchu, and couldn't be more excited to have this opportunity.
Machu Picchu, Peru
"Celebrate endings, for they precede new beginnings."  -- Jonathan Lockwood Huie
I'm excited for the opportunity, however find it slightly bittersweet, as I was originally planning on staying in Europe through August.  Now, my timeline for moving is shortened by about 6 weeks, but I wouldn't have it any other way at this point.  I have always enjoyed training and development work and find myself finding ways to get more and more involved with training in my current job, which I have been afforded great opportunities.  Thinking about this new job and new opportunity makes me smile, and so it must be what's right.

Some have asked what happened to moving to Costa Rica?  Well, this job was originally listed for Peru, Guatemala, and Costa Rica, as the company has branches in all three countries.  After applying and interviewing, I found out that the only openings for TEFL trainers were in Peru and Guatemala.  While I was excited about Costa Rica for many reasons, I couldn't dismiss this opportunity.  It's still in the region of the world I want to be in, and it truly is a perfect fit for what I'm interested in doing.

Others are also asking if I'll make it home before the move.  I'm not certain, but at this point it isn't looking too good.  I only have 4 weeks between the contracts and that isn't much time to wrap up everything here as well as sneak in a few more travel adventures before leaving Europe.  We shall see indeed.  The details will all fall into place...for now, I'm simply smiling and enjoying this moment.

5 comments:

  1. Very cool Q - good luck, and ENJOY! And keep blogging.
    ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Q,
    This sounds awesome. I have spent 2 weeks and Cuzco and it is a fabulous little town. I think it will be a good transition for you because it has many visitors. Machu Pichu is an amazing place to visit too. If you get a chance you should do the Inca trail and hike/bike from Cuzco to Machu Pichu. I also lived in Guatemala for 6 months. It is my old stomping ground. I have so much I want to tell you about Antigua. I have spent a lot of time there and there are so many places I would recommend visiting around there. Maybe when you are there we can e-mail and I can tell you more then. I think you will love both places and your Spanish will be great! I am so excited for you!!!
    Have a wonderful adventure and I look forward to hearing from you!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I cannot wait to get your insights into both Peru and Guatemala! We may have to skype to chat about it all. ;)

      Delete